PREPARATION FOR SALE
TIPS FOR SELLING YOUR HOME:
- Fences Make sure the fences are in good condition. Carry out repairs such as straightening loose posts and repairing holes.
- Lawns Make sure you keep your lawns neatly trimmed, including the edges. It also adds appeal if your lawns are green and weed free.
- Paths, driveways and paved areas Clean up any grease or oil marks. Remove all weds from any cracks or joins. Keep these areas swept and tidy while your property is on the market.
- Gardens Keep your garden weed free and make sure your plants look healthy. Put down fresh mulch to make the garden look well cared for, inhibit weed growth and reduce the amount of watering needed. If you’ve got bare patches, consider picking up some flowers. Trim back any climbing plants that may have got out of control.
- Trees and shrubs Trim back any branches that are dead or too leggy. Remove any limbs that block sun to windows. This will help make your home more appealing inside.
- Pools and ponds Make sure your pool is clean and sparkling. Any fish ponds and birdbaths need to be clean and clear of weeds.
- The building exterior Wash the walls. Eaves and windows, or hire a professional to do it. If the paintwork is flaking don’t decide to repaint without discussing it with your agent- it may not be worth the cost involved. Repair any broken windows and replace damaged flyscreens.
- Garage or car port Remove as much clutter as possible to make these areas look larger. Check the garage door moves smoothly and any locks are in working condition.
- Indoors Give each room a thorough cleaning and clear away any clutter. Consider having your carpets cleaned if necessary. Check all the doors and windows open easily and that all door handles are in good repair. Clean all windows to allow in maximum light. You’ll need to repair any damaged tiling and you should think about painting any chipped walls.
- Storage areas make sure these are tidy and well arranged to give the impression of more space. This is a good time to get rid of odds and ends.
- Plumbing, air conditioning and fans make sure there are no dripping taps or pipes. Consider having air conditioners serviced before you put your property on the market. All ceiling fans need to be operational, clean and run quietly.
- Plants These can add a lot the appeal of a house. If you haven’t got any. Think about buying some to brighten up your property.
- Lights and light fittings Check that all are working and replace any blown globes. The fittings and switches need to be clean and in good condition too. It is a good idea to purchase any light fittings rather than leave bare globes-it looks unfinished.
- Carpets If you have carpets, you should have them professionally cleaned to make them look their best.
- Kitchen The stove, refrigerator and sink all need to be at their sparkling best to make this room attractive. Clear the benches as much as possible to make it look larger.
- Just before inspection Put clean towels in the bathroom and clean tea towels in the kitchen. Make sure the house smells good. You could put a few drops of vanilla essence in a hot oven, brew some coffee or light an oil burner. Open all curtains and blinds and switch on inside lights to make the house look light and airy. You might want to put on some quiet background music. Finally leave the house, go out and enjoy yourself and let your agent do their job.